Wednesday, January 6, 2016

The name of the blog

I forgot to explain this in the introduction, but I'll make a separate post for it, because this is something very close to me. I've always been fascinated with the idea of continuity; even more, eternity. The eternity symbol  is one of my favourites. It's a perfect, nice loop, just like I imagine life is (now I can't say anything about afterlife, but according to my theory/wish, life is a loop) - and in its simplicity it's absolutely beautiful.

Now, Ab Aeterno derives from my desire of eternity - that reassurance that even after you're gone, something, some piece of you keeps on living on Earth. I first came upon this Latin phrase while just simply trying to find a title for a doll picture. This one.


This was taken of my Agatha, BeYours Glisten, soon-to-be BeYours Pansy. I usually name my pictures after some feeling they give me; usually I utilize song lyrics. But this time, I somehow felt I needed to go all Latin. So after a while of searching Google for "Latin phrases", I found Ab Aeterno.
The translation given with the phrase was "from the beginning of time" - although I have found alternative translations for the phrase since then - and it immediately kind of struck me. You could say I kind of fell in love with it. It entwined beautifully with my fascination of eternity. It had this sense of immortality I had always wanted my dolls and their characters to portray, even the most human ones. I want my art to be sort of "ageless"; so that it can carry on my legacy even after my death. I know, it's a very corny thing to say, but it is still true. :'D

The phrase Ab Aeterno has kind of been with me ever since, and after some discussion with my dear friend Britt, I decided to change my face up shop name to Aeterno Aesthetics. Now, I don't really know Latin, but from dictionaries I have understood that the word "Aeterno" alone means something along the lines of "immortalise" or "perpetually", and even "always". I've also reserved the name Aeternodoll/Aeternodolls for when and if I ever start making my own dolls. The name makes sense to me, as in their own way these dolls are very immortal and ageless. And that is ultimately what I want to achieve.

Alright, that was probably incredibly boring, but it's night and I get very deep at nights. :D I promise in the next blog entry I'll actually talk more about the hobby and what I do in it, haha.

Love,
Asileh Backwards

PS. Asileh Backwards is just a "clever" play with my first name, Helisa. If you were curious and didn't figure that out already. XD

7 comments:

  1. No that was not boring at all! I wondered when you changed "Jellyfish faces" into Aeterno Aesthetics" and now I know why. :D I love your work! ♥

    Psst! Check this out: http://palahartsia.blogspot.fi/2016/01/liebster-award-iiik.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'm glad it didn't bore you to death! :D ♥ And even a bigger thank you for the nomination! It was so much fun to do. ♥

      Delete
  2. Ahh that's cool, I love the symbolism and that the name has a deeper meaning to you, rather than being just a name that only sounds good. :)

    Welcome to blogging on Blogger and best of luck for Ab Aeterno! <3 I love your unique style in face ups and would like to commission one from you when you have slots open! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! ;A; ♥ For both welcoming me here and complimenting me so. ♥
      I'm really overwhelmed by the amount of inquiries I get! I feel like it's been like 20 people who are interested in commissioning a face up from me. ;__; I wish I could take them all but for now, I can only accept five heads. But the shop will open sometime around mid January or a little after. I'll inform about it in advance on my page on FB and my commission thread on Hartsilapset. ♥ But as it seems that there is a lot of people interested, the slots may be gone very quickly. ;__;

      Delete
    2. You're welcome! :)
      That's quite understandable that you can only take five or so heads at a time. Don't worry! However I'm not amazed that there's a lot of people wanting to commission you! Like I said, your style really stands out, I don't think that many people do face ups quite like yours. I was really impressed by that alien android girl of yours, she really caught my eye although I had liked your earlier face ups too~

      I'll keep an eye open for the slots and try to catch myself one! :D If I'm not able to, I'll just wait for the next round. :)

      Delete
    3. Thank you so much. That is a huge compliment, seriously. ;__; ♥ I haven't ever really thought about having a style, but it makes me insanely happy that I do have one! ♥ Thank you again. I think I will have sweet dreams after reading such lovely words. XD
      Oh, and I decided that I'll probably make a wait-list for the people who are unable to reserve a slot from me this time around, so that they'll at least have a "reserved" slot for when I complete these five heads and can accept more commission. ^u^ ♥

      Delete
    4. Haha I'm glad if my comment made you happy! :)
      Oh that's a good idea! I hope to get at least a reserved slot then! I'm waiting for a doll head that I'd like to send to you for a face up and I don't know how long it'll take for that head to arrive so I don't mind a little waiting.. or if I get a slot earlier I'll send one of my floating heads then! ^_^

      Delete